Tuesday, March 3, 2009

dreaming of travel


school update: i'm so busy i can't function.

I am loving all my classes but dealing with all 5 of them coupled with the anxiety I have about my applications is draining me. I've been having trouble sleeping and basically I'm surviving on caffeine and the hopes I have for this fall. In my applications I included a new statement of purpose that I might post here soon. I love to write and so instead of the typical "here is why i want to go to your school" I wrote six little one page 'chapters' about different experiences or people who have changed my life and my view of the world. I think it came out pretty well and I hope the admissions people like it too.

Every time we cover something new in art history I want to pack my bags and get there as soon as possible. Most of the places are not exactly feasible at the moment; Greece, Jerusalem, Madrid, Paris, ect. But today, it was New Mexico and Peru. I can't even begin to imagine the breathtaking views of Machu Pichu, and merely reading about them is just not going to do it for me. I want to see the canyons of the west for myself and stand in the crumbling pueblos and marvel at the ingenuity of the peoples who settled the land. Without horses for transport and even without the wheel, they built massive stone architecture and did so with mathematical accuracy. I mean, these are not just little stone walls. Since I do have an aunt who lives in NM and has connections in Peru, I might actually see these things someday. My aunt is an artist too and though many people in my family don't understand why she does certain things, I still feel a sort of creative kinship with her. Maybe it's an artist thing.

Art History midterm in 2 days. time to study.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 another art student:. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator